Assessment of International Qualified Nurses

Home / Assessment of International Qualified Nurses


  • I want to work in Australia as a Registered Nurse?


    • You MUST:
  • Have successfully completed an accredited Bachelor in Nursing course that is assessed as substantially equivalent to the Australian Bachelor in Nursing. (as defined in the Australia Qualification Framework (AQF) Level 7.
  • Achieved English language proficiency in IELTS 7.0 or OET B,
  • Academic,
  • All modules, (listening, reading, speaking, writing) 
  • In one test,
  • No older than 2 years at the time of application
  • Be approved for registration by the Nurses and Midwives Board of Australia (NMBA) and the Australian Health Practitioners Registration Authority (AHPRA).
  • Receive approval from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP), for either a work visa or Permanent Residence.
  • Why a Diploma is no longer assessed substantially equivalent to an Australian Bachelor’s degree AQF Level 7.
  • A Diploma is assessed as AQF Level 5.
  • In the past, work experience has been included as part of the assessment.
  • It is no longer possible to consider work experience as a factor in assessing your educational qualification, irrespective of where the Diploma was undertaken.
  • There are no exceptions to this requirement.
  • Why is IELTS 7.0 Required?
  • The English language skills registration standard intends to make sure that all enrolled nurses, registered nurses and midwives in Australia can communicate effectively in English – by listening, reading, speaking and in writing – with:
  • Their clients, and 
  • Other health professionals about the care of their clients.
  • All other health professions in Australia have a minimum of IELTS 7.0.
  • Are there any exceptions to the English Requirement?
  • The countries where an exception to the English skills requirement may be granted are:
  • Australia 
  • Canada 
  • New Zealand 
  • the Republic of Ireland 
  • South Africa 
  • United Kingdom 
  • United States of America.
  • If you can show that you have completed five years’ full-time equivalent education comprising;
  • a minimum of two years’ full-time equivalent in a pre-registration nursing program of study approved by the recognised nursing and/or midwifery regulatory body
  • a combination of secondary and/or vocational and/or tertiary education,
  • taught and assessed in English,
  • No other exceptions are permitted.
Recent Posts
Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.